October is here! The leaves are changing, colder weather is arriving, and Fall Car Care Month has officially begun. In between apple picking and pumpkin carving, take some time to make sure your vehicle is in proper working condition after the heat of summer has taken its toll and before the cold of winter arrives.
Here is a checklist of vehicle maintenance items to consider during Fall Car Care Month:
- Check all fluids – oil, coolant, transmission fluid, windshield wiper fluid, etc.
- Make sure there are no leaking hoses or cracked belts under the hood.
- Have your suspension and steering checked.
- Check all brake components – pads, rotors, calipers, lines.
- Headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, and hazards should be working properly and lenses should be clean.
- Check your windshield wiper blades to make sure they aren’t leaving streaks and they aren’t worn down.
- Make sure that all tires have sufficient tread and pressure. Start thinking about snow tires, too.
- Check your battery life and replace it if necessary.
- Examine your exhaust system for leaks, rot or loose parts.
When in doubt, bring your vehicle to a certified mechanic and ask them to thoroughly look over your car for any maintenance or repair items that are needed.