As we enter the New Year, we are all thinking of things we can improve on, and taking care of our vehicle is a great area to focus on! Here are five ideas for car care New Year’s resolutions for 2018:
- Wash your car regularly – This is especially important during the winter months as road salt can corrode your vehicle. Try to wash your car as often as possible in the winter, making sure to clean the wheel wells and undercarriage too. Common reasons for a wash in the warmer months include tree sap, bird droppings, spilled beverages, and pollen.
- Save all your car care receipts – Many of us forget to do this but it can be very important to save all your receipts whenever you get repairs or maintenance done on your car. First off, it’s a good way to keep track for yourself, so you don’t forget when you had your brakes checked last, or when you last replaced the air filter. It is also important if you plan on selling your car in the future, as this will show the new buyer that you took good care of the vehicle and also shows them proof of when you had certain components repaired or replaced. Having proper car maintenance records may also be needed if have you a manufacturer’s warranty on your car, because a future warranty claim may be denied if you cannot prove that you’ve gotten regular oil changes and other suggested maintenance at the intervals it recommends.
- Check your oil and get it changed regularly – Make sure to check your oil and get it changed at the recommended intervals. If you skip oil changes, this can cause the engine to run less efficiently and experience significant damage. Refer to your owner’s manual for recommended service.
- Maintain your car’s interior – Keeping the interior of your car clean and maintained will help preserve the resale value of your car and also make your car rides more comfortable for both you and your passengers. Vacuuming regularly is one of the best ways to keep your car clean and to get rid of any debris that collects on the floor or seats of the car. It’s also a good idea to use fabric or leather upholstery cleaner for the seats. Protective creams can be used on the vinyl and plastic parts of the car such as the dashboard, which can protect against old age and sun exposure.
- Rotate tires and check tire pressure regularly – You should check your tire pressure often, as the pressure can fluctuate when the temperature changes outside. You can check the recommended tire pressure in your car’s manual or on the driver’s side door. It is also recommended that you rotate your tires to promote even tread wear. A good time to rotate tires is when you get your oil changed.
Here’s to a year of safe commutes, fun drives and healthy vehicles. Happy New Year!