As much as we have a passion for automobiles, we also love the environment. That is why we have taken steps to reduce the harsh toxins that can be emitted from large shops such as ourselves including switching our paint system to a water based brand of PPG Paint. Ready to do your part? The following tips explain how you can love the planet a little more as an eco-friendly driver.
- Keep your tires properly inflated – Having properly inflated tires can increase gas mileage up to 3% and prolong the life of the tires.
- Keep up on all of your regular maintenance – When your vehicle is well maintained and properly cared for, it keeps all of the parts working at peak performance, which means doing their job most efficiently.
- Take it easy on the gas pedal – Accelerating at a reasonable rate, using cruise control and allowing your vehicle to coast at speed help to improve fuel economy.
- Carpool – Not only does this save fuel and emissions, but it may improve your commute time if you live somewhere that has high-occupancy vehicle lanes.
- Avoid tying things to the top of your vehicle – According to fueleconomy.gov, hauling cargo on your roof lowers fuel economy by up to 25% by increasing the aerodynamic drag.
- Skip warming up your car in the morning – This old (and outdated) tradition was necessary when vehicles ran carbureted engines. However, now most vehicles are designed to be ready to drive within 30 seconds to a minute, about as long as it takes for the oil to get from the bottom to the top of your engine where the moving parts are. As far as the heat goes during the cold months, most vehicles are designed to warm up faster with the vehicle in motion. Leaving your vehicle to idle in your driveway just burns through fuel.
Now you can drive happier knowing that you’re doing your part to save the planet. Plus you’ll save a little on gas while you’re at it!